Virginia Longest Scholarship
How to Apply
Candidates are recommended by the Dean, Conway School of Nursing, The Catholic University of America for consideration by the Zonta Club of Washington, D.C. membership - candidates do not submit an application.
Please contact the Dean directly if you are interested in this nursing scholarship program.
Background of Program: Initiated in 2005, the Zonta Club of Washington, D.C. established the Virginia Longest Scholarship to meet the worldwide shortage of nurses by providing financial assistance for women pursuing Graduate or Doctoral level nursing faculty education degrees at The Catholic University of America, School of Nursing.
Named for its benefactor and club member Virginia Longest, (1918 - 2001) this program has awarded over $48,500 to recipients since the inception of the scholarship program. Lasting Impact on a Community
Virginia Longest began her distinguished nursing career in the U.S. Army Nurse Corps during World War II attending to the needs of the Allies in the European theater. After the war, she joined the former Veteran's Administration (VA) and now the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and served as Director of the Nursing Services from 1971 to 1980 supervising a corps of 16,000 nurses and 165 VA hospitals and six independent outpatient clinics. For her contributions and performance prior to her retirement in 1980, the VA presented Virginia Longest with the VA's Distinguished Career Award and the Chief Medical Director's Honor Award.
- Must be a graduate nursing student in good academic standing at The Catholic University of America, Washington, DC
- Pursuing or plans to pursue a career in nursing education
- Demonstrates financial need
- Recommended by the Dean, Conway School of Nursing, The Catholic University of America
- By May 1st of each year, the Dean, Conway School of Nursing, submits the name of an eligible candidate and supporting material for review by the Club Membership.
- The decision and award are granted by mid-August of each year.
Award Amount: $2,500